Thursday, July 12, 2007

Fine Art Photography

Underhill Adjusts a Painting @ Copro-Nason Gallery

I photograph shows at Copro-Nason Art Gallery at Bergamot Station in Santa Monica, as well as for and others and for various L.A. artists (SHAG, Joe Vaux, Audrey Kawasaki, Dennis Larkins, Jerico Woggon, Mike Shinoda and more). My transparencies are later used for the print media or to reproduce giclees (fine art prints of paintings). Photographing paintings in the proper light so that the reproduction looks as good as the actual painting is an exact art I have been a professional photographer for 30 years and understand the importance of exact representation through photography.
Affixing Black & White Register
There is a precise science to this art of copying paintings. I must to set up the lights so that the color and focus are perfect. If I am photographing paintings of varying sizes, then I have to realign, re-adjust and re-measure everything. This is a long and drawn out process in a gallery full of paintings to copy.
Checking Alignment
Copro-Nason Gallery recently released a new book called "Copro/Nason Fine Art - a Catalogue Raisonné". There are over 450 images on 275 pages. I photographed most of the artwork for the book. It's a marvelous volume containing the history of the lowbrow art movement and over 15 years of exhibition history of the gallery.
Loading the Film
Snapping the Shot
Feel free to call me if you have fine art that needs to be photographically copied.
Larry UnderhIll Photography
(323) 854-6620

No comments: